Flu Vaccine Information For Patients Autumn/Winter 2020
Flu Vaccine Information for Patients Aged 50-64
Due to the impact of Coronavirus we have made some significant changes to how we manage our seasonal immunisation programme for our patients this year.
In light of the risk of flu and COVID-19 co-circulating this year, The Department of Health and Social Care have increased the eligibility of free flu vaccination to all patients aged 50-64. This is essential to protect vulnerable people and support the resilience of the NHS during this winter.
We are planning for our biggest ever uptake of the flu, pneumonia and shingles vaccine this year and these changes are designed to help achieve that as safely and as early as possible to help give the maximum protection to our patients.
In order to make this as safe and efficient as possible we will be holding a vaccination “event” on
Saturday morning/afternoon 12th December 2020
at our Moss Valley (Eckington) and Gosforth Valley Practices (Dronfield)
You have been identified as eligible for at least one of these free vaccinations (flu, pneumonia or shingles) and we encourage you to book a slot now.
If you already have online access to appointment bookings we have released this facility for vaccination slots only, and only on this date - if you already have online access click here to book your appointment. If you do not have online access for bookings currently please contact reception and book your slot by telephone:
Moss Valley Eckington tel : 01246 439101
Gosforth Valley Dronfield tel : 01246 419040
Please read the following details carefully so that you can prepare for your vaccination slot:
- Your time slot appointment is fixed in order to ensure safe social distancing and keep queuing to safe and efficient levels. Please ensure you attend during this slot.
- The queues will appear longer due to social distancing, but please do not be put off by this, THEY WILL MOVE VERY QUICKLY once patients are brought inside for vaccination. Please be patient, vaccination itself should only take around 2-3 minutes.
- All queues will be outside the building so please bring appropriate clothing for the weather and keep your distance from the patients in front and behind you, keeping to the marked lines. If possible wear a short-sleeved top underneath your coat to make vaccination in the upper arm more easily accessible.
- Do NOT attend if you are unwell or have a temperature, new cough, or loss/change of taste or smell.
- You must wear a face covering at all times, including when queuing outside, unless you have a medical exemption. You will not be allowed to queue or have your vaccination without a face covering.
- Parking at the Practice will be limited. Please try and find alternative parking prior to your slot or travel on foot if possible in order to reserve parking for those with mobility impairment or disabilities.
- Please do not attend if you haven’t received an invite for a particular flu clinic or time slot. We will not be able to vaccinate those patients who haven’t received an invite at the special flu clinic events. All eligible patients will be able to get vaccinated during the flu season but the flu events listed above are only for those patients identified and invited via text or letter.
- The type of vaccine you receive will depend upon your age and if you are also having a pneumococcal or shingles vaccine. You can find the product information leaflet details on the following websites:
Under 65 year olds
Flu update - if you are aged 50 or over or have an existing health condition, we have enough supplies to give you your vaccination - please contact the surgery to book an appointment.
As well as flu vaccine, eligible patients can also receive pneumococcal or shingles vaccines.
The type of flu vaccine you receive will depend upon your age and if you are also having a pneumococcal or shingles vaccine. You can find the product information leaflet details on the following websites:
Over 65 year-olds-flu vaccine-Adjuvanted Trivalent Influenza Vaccine – Seqirus https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/10444/pil
Under 65 year olds-flu vaccine-Quadrivalent Influvac sub-unit Tetra – Mylan https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/9381/pil
shingles-Zostavax – Merck Sharp & Dohme Limited (MSD) https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/6101/pil
pneumococcal vaccine-Pneumovax 23 - Merck Sharp & Dohme Limited (MSD) https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/9692/pil
As a Practice we appreciate this has been an extremely difficult and challenging time for patients and staff during this unprecedented pandemic. The seasonal vaccination programme has never been so important for the safety of patients, family and friends and to protect the NHS.
With your co-operation we hope to be able to deliver your annual vaccinations as safely and as efficiently as possible.
Thank you for your support
The Practice Team
The Valleys Medical Partnership